Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Base Coat Bonanza!

Blog time!

Today I'm reviewing two base coats, one's a definite win and the other is a huge fail. Read on to learn more.

First, I'm going to let you in on my new favorite base coat: The Nail Life Revitalizer Treatment in the Original Formula. Yes, treatment. The great thing about this product is that it can be used in several different ways. First, it serves as an excellent base coat, to be used before applying your polish. It make your nails smooth like glass and shiny. Your polish will apply easily, adhering to the base coat without being so "sticky," that the polish loses its smoothness. Next, it can be used as a weekly or daily treatment for weak, sensitive, or damaged nails. You can apply it alone to protect your nails or as a pre-treatment and then use your favorite base coat. Finally, I have read that it can used as a top coat. I can tell that Nail Life would add shine but personally, I'd stick with my favorite quick dry top coat.

Keep in mind, the Nail Life Revitalizer Treatment is on the thicker side since it protects your nails from damage. You can find this product at Sally Beauty Supply for $7.99. It comes in a large bottle (1.19 oz) and can be found on sale from time to time. Nail Life also offers a Formaldehyde-Free version of this product as well as a Gripper Base Coat, Ridge Filler, Cuticle Treatment, and more.



Overall Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Pros:
Versatile, Performs Well, Quantity & Quality!
Cons: Slightly Expensive
Size: 1.19 oz

And here's my not-so-favorite base coat of late: Sally Hansen Insta-Grip Fast Dry Base Coat. I bought this product at Walgreens when I was looking for a new base coat. I've had good luck with most of Sally Hansen's nail products this one was a disappointment. It may be a bit unfair to pit this product against Nail Life since it is not a treatment. Therefore, it's not as versatile or protective. However, as a plain ol' base coat, it's no good either. It took a long time to dry and was incredibly sticky. My polish did not go on smoothly at all. In fact, it was bumpy and streaky with bubbles. I waited plenty of time for it dry. Maybe others will have a better experience with Insta-Grip but I was disappointed. The only good thing I can say is that the product is inexpensive and shiny. The Sally Hansen Insta-Grip Fast Dry Base Coat is priced at $5 to $6 and can be found at drugstores.



Overall Rating: 1.5 out of 5 stars
Pros: Inexpensive, Readily Available, Shiny, Inexpensive
Cons: Performs Poorly, Dries Slowly (for a Quick Dry!), Ineffective.
Size: .45 fl oz

There you have it! Do you have a favorite base coat? Do you use a base coat regularly? Let me know!

3 comments:

WordsPoeticallyWorth said...

Sound advice that women should heed
For an under nail polish need.
Put it on and wear a smile
As to look your best is well worthwhile.

Good luck. Thank you. Take care. Bye.

Rardin said...

This is my favorite comment of all time.

WordsPoeticallyWorth said...

Thank you.