Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A Wax On Candles (I'm So Cheesy)


Lately, I've been on a candle kick. I don't know what prompted this obsession but I have a feeling it has to do with the fact I'm free to burn away at home--unlike at school. My mom loves candles too--they're just a great way to treat yourself and others! I'm a bit picky about my scents though. I don't care for Yankee candles, which are readily available where I live, and I think Bath and Body Works candles are overpriced for the product. My favorite candle makers would have to be Trapp and Tyler Candles. However, I'm really just getting into them so if anyone knows some good brands let me know!

Today I bought a Tyler Candle Votive in "Hippie Chick" at a local beauty store. They didn't have any larger sizes in this scent and I like it so mu
ch I'll probably order a full size online when it runs out. Votives are a great to "test drive" a certain scent and see how much you like over time without wasting a lot of money. I paid $1.90 for my Hippie Chick votive! Trapp votives run around $3.50. This little candles are a great way to add scent, warmth, and light at a party. Or grab a few different scents for a perfect gift!

Back to Tyler's "Hippie Chick"--Tyler's website describes the scent as a "
hint of vanilla bean melds with rich exotic patchouli." Honestly, that does not sound like a scent I'd like! I'm a big citrus-y person and I love floral scents. But seriously, this candle smells DIVINE! The mix of the scents is lush, green, and exotic without being over bearing.

I also recommend Tyler's High Maintenance (a very popular scent) which is described as a "floral, woody blend combined with patchouli & vanilla with a heavy musk undertone!" And Limelight for citrus lovers like me-- an "invitingly clean, fresh fusion of pure mandarin oranges with a shocking touch of lime as a top note, a slight undertone of rich vanilla bean oil gives this a unique twist."

You can find Tyler candles at many beauty stores and boutiques or online at Tyler Candle Store. Sizes range from votive to a 70 oz. jar! A 3.4 oz jar is currently $6.25 on their main website and set of 4 votives is only $8! I found slightly less expensive prices for Tyler candles at The English Rose Gifts and Decor Website and All In Good Taste's website as well.


If you're looking for a wide variety of scents, check out Candles By Victoria. Her hand poured candles have been reviewed excellently by several bloggers. Her line is incredibly cute and clever! I love the idea of "Surprise Candle" which is filled with a layer of different scents for $7.00 plus shipping and handling. Candles By Victoria currently has over 527 scents--definetly something for everyone. You can even special request a scent! Her most popular size, Country Jar Candles, run $8.25 plus S&H for 9 oz and $12.25 plus S&H for 16 oz.



Finally, my mom and I both agree on Trapp candles, even though I love floral scents and she is a green, spicey fan. Trapp Candles' tag line is "A Bottle of Perfume in Every Candle" and they were not joking. These candles are scented heavily without being overwhelming. The scents are rich with a lot of depth. I love Pink Grapefruit (and it smells exactly like a pink grapefruit), Jasmine Gardenia (ditto, smells exactly what it sounds like), and Bob's Flower Shoppe (it's that just a cute name? it smells like the mixture of greens and floral scents you'd encounter in a garden nursery). Trapp Candles does not sell their products online from their main site but you can view their products and scent descriptions here. Check out Thebestcandle.com for a range of Trapp products. A votive runs at $3.25, a small 2.1 oz candle at $6.50, a medium 5.oz at $16, and a large 7 oz. comes in at $21 (plus S&H, of course).

Let me know your thoughts on these candles--your favorite and least favorite scents. Do you have another brand to recommend? Share in comments down below.

No comments: