Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Bad Benefit Mascara: BADgal Plum Mascara

Benefit is most easily recognized by their fun, retro inspired packaging and quirky product names. Though the line might seem a bit gimmicky at times, I have a few favorites including the Creaseless Cream Eyeshadows/Liners, Coralista blush, and Silky Finish lipsticks. Since I've had good luck with Benefit so far, I figured I'd like their Bad Gal mascara as well. I decided to be adventurous and test the "Plum" shade.

The Bad Gal Plum Mascara features a big, thick brush coated in a deep plum shade. Benefit's website describes the mascara on their website, saying, "Our rich, luxurious plum mascara intensifies your natural eye color while lushifying your lashes." Lushifying?


The color may look a little scary to some but I thought it would be flattering for my hazel eyes. Typically colored mascaras do not look as intense when applied as they do in the tube and Bad Gal Plum is no exception. In fact, it doesn't look plum or purple at all. It just looks like a cheap black mascara! Very disappointing. I didn't find that the mascara brought out the colors of my eyes or had any flattering effects.


I also have a bone to pick with the wand and formula of Bad Gal Plum Mascara. The wand is big, which is usually better for creating volume than length. I prefer small wands as length is my issue but that's a personal preference. However, it's just too big to really coat your lashes. Little volume is added and I found the formula way too drying. Not "lushifying" at all! Overall, I was disappointed in this mascara. It's a decent price for a higher end mascara ($19) and seems like a fun addition to any makeup collection. Yet the product doesn't do what Benefit promises and hardly measures up to even cheap drugstore mascaras. My hunt for the perfect mascara continues! This one's going in the trash.

Overall Rating
: 1 out of 5 stars
Pros: Nice packaging, Doesn't flake
Cons: Drying, Doesn't create much volume, Doesn't live up to claims
Price: $19
Size: 8.5 g, Net wt-.30 oz

ETA: After wearing this mascara all day, I found that it left little violet smudges and rings all around my eyes. I looked like a raccoon on its way to a rave and that's just what I'm going for these days.

No comments: